Thursday, October 12, 2006

I didn't disappear, I promise! I had a crazy week last week! Last Tuesday, I had a session with a family of four who were really cute and fun to work with. We had just gotten a few shots of the family together when it started to rain! AHH! They wanted to get some pictures of their two kids together as well as family, so we quickly took a few of just the kids. I felt really bad, because usually I spend about an hour or more on a session, getting lots of variety to choose from, but this one lasted maybe 15 minutes and we got rained out. There were still some cute shots, but I would have loved to have had the chance to work with these guys some more and get something really great for them. Oh well, who can control the weather? I told them I would be happy to take some more for them another day....we'll see. Anyway, that was the start of my insane week. Earlier that same day I went to a local preschool to do their anual class photos. This was my first year doing this for them. They were just way too stinkin cute! Little 3 and 4 year olds in their school clothes looking all cute and I got to take their pictures! Too fun! Anyway, skip ahead to the next day. I was scheduled to go back to the preschool and photograph another class, so I did that, and all was great. I had a senior session scheduled for that evening, so since my CF cards were both full, I needed to process the images from the past day in order to clear my card for the senior that evening, and for the newborn and family shoots scheduled for the next day. So, I go to turn on the computer, NOTHING. Uh Oh, as my 15 month old would say. Try again, still NOTHING! So now here I am panicking because I am out of media space and can't get on the computer to process my pictures, much less check my email or do anything else for that matter. So I call my sister in a panic begging for her to let me use her computer to at least burn the images onto CDs so I could at least clear my cards and process them later. She said ok, so I'm still freaking out, but a little relieved. Then a little knock comes from the front door. Hmmm, who could it be? My best buddy Fed Ex!!! I had ordered two 2GB CF cards the week before, and they arrived, just in time! Plus, I had just received my new Canon 5D camera. The tables were starting to turn! Yeah! So I went to my sister's house to at least check my email, and schedule appointments for a couple of people who had inquired about sessions (yeah, more sessions!). Still no computer, so still frustrating, since these people were waiting for their proofs to go online and I hate to disappoint. Anyway, I went to Stillwater and did the senior session, who was a gorgeous teenage girl who was very photogenic. I was really happy with how the session went, so that made my night. Too bad I couldn't get right on the computer to go through them and get them up right away like I would any other time I had a great shoot. GRRR..... So now it's my turn to bug my moody computer programer brother who has been working 90 hour workweeks lately and just wants to chill on the couch. No, I need computer help, John, can't you understand that! So after giving me a hard time, he finally agrees to help me out a little. Computer still doesn't work, but at least I got my files backed up. Anyway, so Thursday I head out to do a 1 week old baby's first portraits, and his two year old big brother. Oh and what cuties they were! We got some super cute pics of the big brother outside, and he decided he was done with pictures by the time we got inside. Not a big deal - he's 2, it's to be expected. Mom was a little disappointed that she wasn't going to get a sibling shot, but what can you do? When a 2 year old decides he's done, it's in the best interests of a defensless newborn to let it be! Now the baby - I must say, this was one of the most adorable, well behaved babies I've seen in a long time! I normally suggest parents start with the baby sleeping so we can get those sweet peaceful baby shots, but he wanted to be awake. Normally when a newborn is awake, there's at least one crying spell. Not a peep from this little guy! Now thinking back to when Nina was a newborn and how she kept me up all night and just wore me out, this just is not fair! But, I was ok with a great baby, as jealous as I was, because I was lucky enough to take his picture! So that session went really well. Thinking back though I should have taken advantage of his great demeaner and done some nursery shots as well, but then again, mom probably has enough trouble deciding as it is. So, after this session, I head on home to try and get my computer running. About half way there, (this was a 45 minute drive) I get a call on my cell from the father of the kids I just photographed, who tells me I forgot my CF card on his couch! So I have to drive all the way back out there and pick it up. Just my week! Next was a family session for my cousin. She has a 9 month old little boy with blue eyes and lots of hair. He's a real cutie, and he likes me, so he just smiled the whole time! She put him in a little vintage looking peacoat and newsboy cap. He looked so cute! Anyway, that was a fun session and a nice day. Friday comes, and the end of the week is near! I rebooted my computer with some software I found from my old computer (couldn't find the disk for my recent operating system - that figures) and I finally have a computer! No shoots scheduled for Friday, so it's catch up time. I got all the sessions online from that week, finally! I'll attach something from each shoot on here. So, this week I've been busy trying to get the orders for the preschool processed and ordered, as well as do a shoot and process the images for 3 kids Monday, a 6 month old ADORABLE baby, and a kitten on Tuesday. Yesterday I had some trouble with my internet, so I got about half as many orders as I wanted to processed, but it got done. I finally have time to blog, and it feels good to get it all out! I just finished a session for an old friend from high school who is engaged - so happy for her! So I'll get this published so I can work on her stuff and get it online! Thanks for hanging in there. I didn't mean to disappear. Things (crazy things) just happen. The above pictures are from last week, and the ones below are early this week.


Kristen said...

Hi Kari! I was wondering if you were going to get your computer up and running and update your blog! I hope you are loving your new camera and it sounds like you are staying plenty busy! Love the new stuff. The dark haired baby is so stinking cute! See you soon.

Tori Faulkner said...

Oh werent MIA, you were busy..Glad to hear that the ol comp is better..and out of it tantrum.Hope all is ahve beautiful work to show from all the madness.